UFC champion St-Pierre prepare for s

lw789
Artykuły: 0

UFC champion St-Pierre prepare for s

Postautor: lw789 » 16 kwie 2018, 09:15

Christine Sinclair had no idea when she first tugged on a Canada jersey that shed ever make anywhere near No. 200. But on the eve of her 200th appearance, Canadas captain and one of the games finest female players said its a testament to how the national womens program has grown over the course of her career. "Someone like Charmaine Hooper, she played on the national team forever and never made 200 caps," Sinclair told The Canadian Press in a phone interview Wednesday. "Andrea Neil as well. . . there just werent as many games played. Then you look at myself at 200 caps. We have so many players that are above 100 caps, and that had never happened before. "It just goes to show the support the womens team has been given, and just the sheer number of international games we get to play now." Neil played 132 games for Canada, while Hooper played 129. Of the current Canadian womens squad, Diana Matheson has 154 caps, Rhian Wilkinson has 143, followed by Sophie Schmidt (109) and Karina LeBlanc (106). The 30-year-old Sinclair will earn her 200th cap -- yet another major milestone in a career paved with them -- when the Canadians play Scotland in the opening game of the Torneio Internacional Cidade de Sao Paolo tournament in Brazil. "I think everyones excited," said Canadas coach John Herdman. "Im pleased youve reminded us (of Sinclairs 200th cap) because I think we almost forgot, weve been that focused on our work preparing for this first game against Scotland. I know it will get mentioned in one of the meetings (Thursday). For Sinclair, were just hoping she puts a goal in." The Burnaby, B.C., native has 146 career goals, and is third behind Americans Abby Wambach and Mia Hamm. Of the countless memories shes compiled over 199 games, she said her "once-a-career-type" goal happened at this same tournament in Brasilia in 2010. Canada was trailing Brazil in the final and was down to 10 players when Sinclair scored in the 82nd minute. The tie gave Canada the tournament victory based on goal difference. "Just received a pass from Melissa Tancredi, I was probably 30 yards out. One-timed it, left foot, top corner," Sinclair said. "It was one of those things that youll never do again. But in terms of striking a ball, thats one that I remember." Her first game was against China in the Algarve Cup. She was 16. "I remember being so nervous because I had just watched them win a silver medal at the World Cup, in that famous game against the Americans in 1999, and next thing I know here I am playing against them, and just being so nervous," Sinclair said. Her first goal came in her very next appearance, versus Norway. "That was interesting because it was the team Even (Pellerud, Canadas coach at the time) used to coach, and they were one of the best teams in the world, and all we had been told is their goalkeeper (Bente Nordby) was the best goalkeeper in the world," Sinclair said. "I intercepted a pass from one of their centre-backs and I went in on a breakaway and scored, and it was crazy. It was obviously a goal Ill never forget." No question, she said, her best memories -- and greatest feeling of accomplishment -- came at the London Olympics, where the Canadian women beat France for bronze. Sinclair said her parents still ask her why shes missing from all the pictures of her teammates celebrating on the pitch in Coventry. "I have to explain to them You dont understand, the whistle blew and I broke down in tears," she said. "You work so hard to accomplish that and to actually reach one of your childhood dreams, not many people can say they actually get to do that, and I was just completely overwhelmed by the whole winning a bronze medal, and then stepping onto the podium and seeing the Canadian flag rise. Its pretty special." Sinclair said, like most of her teammates, shes only thinking as far ahead as the womens World Cup in Canada in 2015, and the 2016 Olympics in Rio. Shell re-evaluate everything after that. "Right now, talking on the phone, I cant imagine only playing for two more years," she said. "Assuming I can stay healthy, obviously I want to keep going." Brazil, at No. 4, is the top-ranked team in the four-country tournament. The seventh-ranked Canadians play unranked Chile on Dec. 15, and Brazil on the Dec. 18. The final is Dec. 22. 19:23ET 11-12-13 Robert Quinn Jersey . - The New England Patriots needed help on defence so they added three experienced players at midseason. Nolan Cromwell Jersey . The 21-year-old Wickham headed Sunderland into a 26th-minute lead --to add to the double he scored at Manchester City and his strike in last weekends win at Chelsea -- and then sealed the win with a late header. http://www.authenticramsfansclub.com/Bl ... -Jersey/.J. - The New York Jets have signed former Green Bay Packers backup quarterback Graham Harrell, giving them some added depth at the position. Joe Namath Jersey .com) - The New York Islanders will try to solve their issues against Central Division opponents when they visit the Minnesota Wild for Tuesdays battle at Xcel Energy Center. Johnny Hekker Jersey . The Canadian skicross racer appeared to have the bronze medal locked up in the mens final at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, only to wipe out while trying to make a pass in the biggest moment of his career.Losing is almost completely foreign to Stephen (Wonderboy) Thompson.The 31-year-old South Carolina native went 57-0 as a kickboxer, winning numerous titles. As a mixed martial artist, he has won nine of 10 fights.Thompson looks for MMA win No. 10 as he takes on Montreal welterweight Patrick (The Predator) Cote at UFC 178 in Las Vegas on Saturday night.Youll see some fireworks, Thompson predicted.A loss via decision to Matt (The Immortal) Brown at UFC 145 in April 2012 is the lone blemish on his record.Thompson (9-1) knocked out Dan Stittgen in his UFC debut 2 1/2 months earlier at UFC 143. Two days after the win, he got a call offering the Brown fight. He said yes, hiring a new strength and conditioning coach.Perhaps as a result, he bulked up to 209 pounds. That was heavy for Thomspon, who suffered through the weight cut to 170 pounds.Matt Brown did exactly what he said he was going to do, Thompson said with a laugh. He kicked my butt. But it was a war. I would love to do it again. Matt Browns a good dude and a great fighter. Hes made it up to the top and man, hes a monster.A knee injury sidelined Thompson for the next year. He has not lost since, beating Nah-Shon Burrell, Canadian Chris Clements (in Toronto), and Robert Whittaker. The knee problems started eight years ago during a fight against Raymond Daniels in Chuck Norris World Combat League. He tore every ligament in his left leg, had 40 per cent of his meniscus removed and underwent three surgeries.Doctors told him he would never fight again.It was rough, he said. Not just physically but mentally.In all he sat out three years, during which time he started leaning towards switching to MMA. His striking skills had already won him invitations to train with some of the best.At the time I was training with guys like Georges St-Pierre, Rashad Evans, Nate Marquardt. During this injury I had some time to kind of think about where I wanted to go with my fight career.Years later his knee rehab is still a daily affair but he says it feels good.dddddddddddd And it hasnt seemed to affect his kicking arsenal or the corkscrew-somersault move that he celebrates wins with, although he says he had more celebratory moves before the injury.In the days leading up to this bout, Thompson managed to combine his training camp with teaching classes at the family gym, Upstate Karate in Simpsonville, S.C. The gym was opened 31 years ago by Ray Thompson, Stephens father. Stephen and his two brothers and two sisters all started their martial arts journey at the age of three.Now they run the business with almost 650 students. And Stephen fights.Stephen began with kempo karate. At 12, he put his jiu-jitsu and wrestling on hold to focus on kickboxing with his first amateur bout at 15.Today he is a fifth-degree black belt in kempo karate, a discipline that is a key part of his mixed martial arts attack.Thompson changes stances, darts in and out, and has a dizzying array of kicks. He is not easy to prepare for — or face.Thompson has ties to Montreal, having helped former UFC champion St-Pierre prepare for several fights.I love Montreal, Thompson said. I love the people, I love the history.Thompson sparred briefly with Cote (21-8) in 2008 before switching his focus to MMA.Its an honour to fight somebody like him, said Thompson, noting Cotes extensive resume. Hes gone three rounds with (former middleweight champion) Anderson Silva. Hes fought Tito Ortiz. Hes fought some of the greats in the UFC.Like Cote, Thompson has added to his arsenal. While known as strikers, both men have taken down opponents in recent bouts.But Thompson knows his bread and butter.Striking is what I do. Everybody wants to see somebody get knocked out, he said. Im sorry but its the fight game and thats what they want to see.Thompson has trained with Chris Weidman several times and the UFC middleweight champion returned the favour for the Cote camp.Thats just the kind of guy he is, said Thompson. Follow @NeilMDavidson on Twitter NFL Jerseys Wholesale Cheap NFL Jerseys Wholesale Wholesale Jerseys 2020 Wholesale Authentic Jerseys Cheap Jerseys Online Cheap Authentic Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys China ' ' '

Wróć do „SPAM”